Tampa Bay Lightning
FRIDAY CONTEMPLATION: Honor & Impact
Everybody who knows me knows that I LOVE hockey and the Tampa Bay Lightning. I’m a season ticket holder and attend a lot of games (I went last night!). My son is a goalie for the Tampa Bay Jr Lightning U16AA team and Plant, which consumes a good deal of time.
HONOR: A few months ago, a mentor and long-time friend nominated me for The Lightning’s Community Hero program. Recipients get honored during a home game and receive 50,000 to distribute to the charity of their choice. Frankly, I thought it was a long shot.
So I was blown away when we were informed that we were being selected. As I joking said to the person that wrote it, “Liz, you make just about anything shine.” She wrote a beautiful application and told the story of our work in and through Portico and Portico Housing Solutions. We were honored Tuesday evening (see picture above and below). It was such a cool experience getting to celebrate the way God has, is, and will work through the mission and ministry of The Portico.
While I was honored, the reality is that this is not an individual but a shared award. So many people have made The Portico possible.
IMPACT: 50K The 50K is going to be used to accomplish the following:
- Expand Cafe Training program. Residents of COVE/DACCO who have experienced addiction, homelessness, and/or incarceration will be trained in guest relations, food preparation, barista skills, and the point of sale system. Upon completion they will have the opportunity to receive a Safe Serve certification.
- Establish a Management Training Program. One person will be trained fin all aspects of managing The Cafe.
- Expand Portico Housing Solutions (PHS) & create a Micro-loan Fund. A portion of the funds will increase capacity of PHS and establish a micro-loan fund that address obstacles to self-sufficiency, such as a down payment for car, dealing with fines and fees that prevent securing their driver’s licenses.
Your continued support through presence, prayers and giving allows Hyde Park to make God’s Love Real. We have made good progress in our 2023 Giving campaign. Thank you to the folks who have submitted a 2023 Estimate Of Giving (EOG). If you believe in the work of The Portico and Hyde Park, please submit an EOG. No matter the size, your investment supports the work and the mission.
Christmas in The Park | 6:30 p.m. | Fri, Dec. 23 | Waterworks Park
Bring your pets, lawn chairs and blankets for this unique and awesome service. Make a difference by signing up to volunteer to provide hospitality for thousands of hundreds of guests who join us in Waterworks Park on Friday 12/23.
SERVE HERE. Scroll down to Christmas in the park. We are looking for set up people (arrive at Portico at 5:00 p.m.) and Greeters (arrive at Waterworks park at 5:50 p.m.).
This Sunday we will be looking at a passage from Matthew 25. We will explore how filled our tanks are. Afterwards, we will have the Community Meal. If you or someone you know is looking for spiritual community, join us at 10:01 a.m.
- Community Meal | 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. | Sun, Dec. 11 | Portico
- Christmas in The Park | 6 p.m. | Fri, Dec. 23 | Waterworks Park
- Christmas Day Meal | 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Sun, Dec 25 | Portico
You are loved!
Leave a Comment