The Justice Team
A gathering of people who engage in advocacy and awareness around important issues in social and racial justice in our community. There are multiple ways you can join the team and make a difference:
- Join the Justice Events Team. Organize, coordinate, and partner with other organizations to produce events and public forums addressing social justice issues including affordable housing, the poverty-to-prison-pipeline, racial justice and more. Email Amber for more info.
- Join a Justice Learning Group. These short-term learning groups invite exploration, connection and discussion around our personal understandings, biases and actions we can take about justice issues that matter. Email Chalette for more info.
- Join in H.O.P.E., The Hillsborough Organization of Progress and Equality. See below to learn more. Email Ann for more info.
- Lead the Fines and Fees Initiative. This “gap ministry” of Love INC, is a grass-roots community initiative born out of a Justice Team community event, Fines, Fees and Felonies: Fight the Poverty to Prison Pipeline. A cadre of attorneys from Sacred Heart join The Justice Team and Love INC in this effort to raise awareness and remedy the impact of the debt-based driver’s license suspensions that are currently affecting two million Floridians. If you'd like to lead this effort, email Justin.
- Attend and Participate. Advances in social justice are thwarted without community action. Join us in these efforts engage our friends and neighbors in the movements of advocacy, awareness and reconciliation in our city.
Hillsborough Organization for Progress and Equality (HOPE)
Hyde Park/Portico is one of 23+ interfaith member congregations who belong to HOPE, a non-partisan community organization founded in 1988. Their mission: to promote justice, fairness, and the dignity of people by engaging and training people to responsibly and successfully act together to hold officials accountable to improve the systems affecting the quality of life in our communities. HOPE uses a four-step process to bring to surface and win issues of justice:
- Listen: We listen to our members in one-on-one meetings and “house meetings” in order to surface community problems for research and action. The listening process also serves to invite more people to become a part of the justice ministry.
- Research: We research the problems to identify workable solutions. HOPE meets with stakeholders and policy makers as well as dives into data that relates to the issue(s).
- Gather: We gather a large number of people, in order to show our supportive power and attract the attention of the decision-makers who can implement the solutions we are requesting.
- Follow Up: We follow-up on the public commitments made by the decision-makers in order to ensure that there is action to address the problem by implementing the requested solutions.