Friday Contemplation: You’re going to die. Every Friday night in 7th and 8th grade, I’d put on my “Just Passing Through” t-shirt. I loved the shirt, no idea why. And I didn’t reflect on the meaning. About a decade ago, a childhood friend sent me the above pictured shirt as a joke after finding the logo online.
Now in my late 40’s, I realize how true the saying is on my favorite shirt back in middle school. We are all going to die–sooner rather than later. We all are just passing through.
The important question is: Are you passing through with purpose?
Ash Wednesday reminds us of this bitter truth. While some see this as rather depressing, that knowledge can help us live more fully and intentionally. Ash Wednesday uses ashes that were made with the previous year’s palms from Palm Sunday, and are applied onto our foreheads to help us remember that we came from dust and to dust we will return. It marks the beginning of Lent, which is the 40 days not including Sundays before Easter when Christians prepare by fasting, repentance, and growing their relationships with God.
Remembering You Will Die | Wednesday, Mar. 3
- Ashes Before Work: 7 – 9 a.m. in The Portico Cafe Breezeway near Homeless Jesus. I’ll administer ashes and say those words that have been said for centuries: “To ash…”
- Ash Wednesday Meditation: 12 noon in The Henderson Chapel. Join this intimate gathering of repentance, meditation, and remembering.
Passing Through with Purpose: During this Lent, consider adding something in and taking something away. And don’t tell anyone about it! Below are some ways for you to give something up and add something sacrificially.
- Join a group. Invest time weekly. Email me for more details..
- Meditate daily. Invest time daily for 3 minutes. Don’t know how? Email me for more details..
- Give. Provide an additional donation to the church, our social enterprise The Portico Cafe, or a favorite not-for-profit.
- Serve. We’re building teams for our Sunday Gathering. Email me to get connected.
- Something you enjoy. As known as “fasting.” Do this intentionally for 40 days. Offer it to God/Higher Power. And… Don’t tell anyone. Here’s why.
- Social media from your phone. This will give you more time for bullets 1 and 2 from above.
- Lack of forgiveness. Decide to take action to have God remove any unwillingness to forgive in your heart.
Last Sunday, I gave a 14 min message about practicing resilient reorientation. I hope you’ll check it out.
Remember, you are going to die. But along the way, let’s pass through with purpose.
You are Loved.